Sunday, January 8, 2012

Teaching concerns

I start teaching tomorrow. I keep telling myself that I can't really botch the first day because it's just introductions and the syllabus and everything. But at the same time Wednesday is not that far away and that I can botch. The good news is that it looks like there will only be about 15 students in my class. I can always hope that I get a bunch that will participate in discussions and do their readings and whatnot. I certainly hope that at least a few of them will talk. I also hope that there aren't too many problem children. Last term in the class I sat in on there was a student that always had earbuds in his ears. There were a couple students who always had their laptops out even though it was not allowed according to the syllabus. Another piece of good news is that I have a good classroom. It may be in the basement, but it has equipment I can typically run and there's enough seats for everyone. And I don't have to leave the building. Could be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment