Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Beards

I am always interested to see what actors (particularly TV actors) look like when they're not acting. I don't know why. I guess it's because it just reinforces that the role that I see them in on TV is not really them, that it's a character. For example, Zachary Levi and John Krasinski don't look that much alike in real life. However, Chuck Bartowski and Jim Halpert, the characters that they play on the shows Chuck and The Office do look quite a bit alike (especially in the first few seasons of Chuck. I was a little surprised that they never brought John Krasinski on as some sort of Doppleganger). Both of these actors, when walking around outside of their character, wear big beards.

Today I watched a little video from Dule Hill and James Roday that announced that Psych has been given a seventh season (they're halfway through season six right now) and both of those actors are now sporting a beard. James Roday also has a fauxhawk that he doesn't normally wear (it looks pretty good).

I guess I don't really get the beard thing. Maybe it's because I'm not a guy. It makes me think of that scene in Willow where Willow tells Val Kilmer's character "You don't feed a baby blackroot!" and Val replies, "My mother fed us blackroot every day! It'll put hair on your chest" and Willow replies, "She's the future queen of (wherever)! The last thing she's going to want is hair on her chest!"

I was never a beard person before, and in theory I'm not a beard person now. I still don't like the big bushy ones, and if you look like Will Riker from Star Trek: The Next Generation you're right out, but I am discovering that there is something very attractive about some beards on some guys. Some chins are just MADE for it I guess. Maybe it's a sign of maturity, as I get older I find more mature guys attractive (let's not get into how attractive the crowsfeet are on the guy from the newest BBC Persuasion. *shakes head*). I suppose it's part of the same thing that makes you think that chest hair is attractive (on men, not on women like the future queen of wherever on Willow). For me though the jury is still out on the chest hair (and a full pelt of hair is right out) but I think I'm really beginning to get the beard thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment