The caffeine-fueled, resolution-inspired ramblings of a (former) English Major.
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Class Planning
I am a stresser. Right now I'm stressing about teaching next term (next week). Typically, when I stress about stuff like this I deal with it by preparing, or at least doing something that resembles preparing. Typically that involves doing prep "reading" while watching TV, or by sorting out my materials, or by buying things. So, today I went to Staples with my mother and I tried to find things that will "help" me in my class. By this I mean post-its and pens and paperclips and paper and other stuff that apparently begins with "P." Today, as I wandered through the aisles, I thought that one thing that I need is something to carry stuff back and forth to class in. Fortunately, I'm going to have my class in the same building where my office is, so I don't have to worry about lugging stuff across campus, but I still would like to have all of my class stuff easily lugged from office to classroom to home, especially since I am attending a class immediately after the class I teach. I need something quick and easy. But one thing I've figured out in my time in undergrad and the time that I've spent in grad school thus far is that the organization plans that I make early on don't always pan out. The things that I think will work don't and I usually have to reevaluate. So I'm not really sure that I want to invest in a system that isn't going to work. But I have to do something. Don't I? I have to have a good system for lugging everything around. I tend to carry a lot around. I need to have a place for all of the papers that I'm picking up and handing back, and handing out and my notes and quizzes and Power Points and I know I'm totally overthinking everything but I can't help it. My mom keeps telling me that I shouldn't worry, because the people that know what they're doing think that I know what I'm doing. But I can't help but worry. But I keep telling myself, I don't have to worry about the first day because that's just the syllabus and introductions and that's easy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment