Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I'm a Re-Reader

I'm the kind of person that likes to reread books that I like and rewatch TV shows on DVD or in reruns. I don't mind that I know what happens, I still like how the words sound in my head when I read, or how the actors look on screen as they do their thing. I've probably watched my favorite episodes of some TV shows a dozen times or more. There are episodes of Chuck and The Big Bang Theory and Firefly that I have watched over and over again, and will still watch over and over again (in fact, that's what I'm doing at this very moment). I really love the episodes of Chuck that are "Casey-centric" as I call them, those episodes that really deal with the back story of John Casey (played by Adam Baldwin). Or the episodes with Bryce Larkin (I've always said that I'd take either Bryce or Chuck, whichever one Sarah didn't want). I guess with The Big Bang Theory there are just certain episodes that I like more than others (I still laugh until I'm about to fall down when Sheldon says: "I'm Batman, shhhhhh). After the amount of time I spent watching Firefly last term for a paper I was writing, I'm relatively certain it's going to be a while before I can watch that again without hurling.  I have a pile of books by my bed (I have piles of books everywhere, to be honest) that I will pick up as I'm letting my mind unwind at the end of the day and I'll read either the whole book or just my favorite parts. I'll read and reread and reread those books and those parts until I decide that I've read them too often and then I grab some other books from another shelf somewhere and read and reread my favorite parts of those.  There are a pair of episodes of Chuck that I really love that seem to go really well with my love for reading my favorite parts of books over and over again. Those episodes are the episodes with Cole Barker (a.k.a. The Beefcake). He's really ruggedly handsome, he knows it, and he's comfortable with it, but at the same time he finds this balance between being a nice guy and being a bad boy. And he's British and has that sexy accent.  Sometimes I read books and watch TV or movies and it inspires me to write. It makes me want to write my own books, my own stories. Maybe not ones that are very good, but my own none the less. I want to play Frankenstein and chop up little aspects of different stories that I read and see. I think about how I could put different characters in that same situation. I think about what kinds of decisions I would have the same characters make if I were  the one writing it. I like to throw in my own stuff too, but I love the rewriting and revising until the version in my head only barely resembles the original version.  Some writers would probably tell me that it means that I'm an immature writer, that a mature writer doesn't need that sort of inspiration, but I suppose I'm okay with that for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment