Thursday, January 26, 2012

Graduate School

My grandfather once told me that he thought that doing his masters work was the best schooling that he had, because you don't have to muck around with general education disbursement credits, it's just classes in what you're interested in.

While I wouldn't completely say that the classes are all in my area of interest really, and that there are still disbursement credits to take care of, at least (for me) all of the disbursement credits are in English, rather than in everything, so there is less of an interest separation than there was in undergrad.

I love going to my graduate seminars and my other graduate classes. The conversations are so great and it's so much fun to talk to other people about the things that interest us. And what I've found is that, at least with English, most of us have read many of the same books and seen many of the same movies so when we make references to stuff outside the specific book that we're reading for class we all know what we're talking about. 

For example, I'm taking a Milton class and we're reading Paradise Lost and it's kinda' awesome how often I mention that it reminds me of something from Lord of the Rings and someone else says that they were thinking the same thing. And I love the way that we bounce ideas off of each other. And I love that we have the same conversations around the table in the main part of the English Department that we do in the classes. 

I'm glad that I'm a grad student.

No comments:

Post a Comment