Sometimes my life feels like a math problem. One of the really complicated ones that you have to draw a diagram or two to get the answer just right and even then it's possible that you missed something.
Here's the thing. Math and I didn't really get together until junior high (up until that point I wasn't really impressed) and we did pretty well most of the way through high school, but then, early in my senior year, I took one long hard look at Math and decided that I had too much going on that year to really make it worth it. So we broke up. My freshman year in college we made one pathetic attempt at trying again, but I knew pretty much from the beginning that it wasn't going to work out. Math just has so many problems, and I'm an English Major, not a psychiatrist. Now we see each other from time to time and I'll politely smile and wave, make a little small-talk, but to be honest, it's just uncomfortable and the less time I spend with Math the better.
My life feels like a Math problem right now though because I'm a poor graduate student who doesn't have much money to travel. I have three travel options over the next few months, and I can only do two of them (at most). The first is go to see my best friend (We'll call her R) in North Carolina in early March. The second is to go see a good friend from college (We'll call her C) in Nebraska in mid-March. The third is to go to the wedding of my roommate from my senior year (We'll call her A) in mid-May in MISSOULA, MONTANA (this is part of the reason I can only afford to do two).
So it sounds simple, just pick two and do them. It sounds simple, but it isn't, because I'm not just relying on my own schedule.
1. The trip to NC depends on J going on a business trip down there (which may or may not happen--so I may or may not have a place to stay). This trip also depends on whether or not R will be in NC. R may be in FL with her BF B.
2. The trip to NE depends on whether or not my friend M can get off work so we can road-trip it out there to see C. Also, some family members have said that there is a certain someone (We'll call him S, since we've already used C) that my family would like to hook me up with and they've claimed that they'll make sure S is in NE if I'm there.
3. The trip to MT doesn't depend on anything. I'm going.
Solve for J.
No comments:
Post a Comment