Conferencing was an interesting process. Everybody reacted a little differently to the process of conferencing. Some seemed interested in engaging in a real conversation about what was going on in their paper. Some seemed almost combative. Some seemed to have no idea what was going on.
A couple of the students had REALLY good drafts going and they had good ideas for where to go next in their paper. They seemed willing to take into account what I'd told them, and to be interested in how to use what they had to build a better paper. Most of the students were willing to accept what I told them because I am the teacher, but there were a few that I felt like we were really getting into a dialogue and that we had a great conversation going.
There were a few where I felt like I was pulling teeth to get them to do anything resembling analysis.
There were a couple who seemed hostile to the idea that I might know more about what makes a good paper with good analysis than they do.
I have to admit, I really enjoy the students that it's like a conversation rather than a dental exam. I like it when I feel like I'm talking to the student and when I come up with an idea and then when they come up with an idea and then I expand on that idea, and then they add another aspect and ideas are just flowing and it's a lot of fun.
That's much more interesting than telling a student that a third of the paragraphs that they have written are useless. I don't like that part. Because who likes to have to delete what they've just written. Writing the first time is hard enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment