When did I become an adult? Ok. So legally the answer is just over seven years ago, and really, all through college I had this sense that I was an adult, and that I made decisions for myself, and that I was responsible for my own screw ups, but really, most of the time I think of adults as people that are not me.
I think that the hardest birthday for me this far was 20. Because at 20 you are no longer a teenager an you are really an adult, even though I didn't really feel any different at 20 than I did at 19, or 18, or 16, or really 10 for that matter. I see my life as so much of a continuum and when I imagine my dumb teenage self somehow I see myself now saying and doing the dumb teenage things even though it was not 25 year old me saying and doing those things, it was 16 year old me saying and doing them and she was kinda dumb about some things... But I digress.
What makes me think about this is Facebook. I was on Facebook within the first two years of it being created, I think. I was on it when it was just college students, and only big colleges had access to it, too. I think that it's funny that I can be nostalgic for the way Facebook was only a few years ago (ok, so it was more than a few years ago, I'm just having a hard time accepting it, but it certainly wasn't a long enough time ago to be nostalgic about it). I am still a firm believer that high schoolers do not belong on Facebook, and I'm an even firmer believer that adults should not be on Facebook (see, here comes my moment of struggling with the fact that I, too, am an adult). I hate it when I post something that is intended to be facetious and it gets taken seriously. Is most frequently happens with questions. I post something humorous, ask a question about it and get a few goofy answers from other 20-something's and then get a bajillion serious answers from adults. And when I say adults here, I mean people that have always been adults as long as I've known them and not people who have grown into adulthood in the past, say, 10-15 years.
Though I will say that my former roommate's parents crack me up on Facebook, but really, that's things that she posts about the, and not really them themselves, so maybe it doesn't count.
No comments:
Post a Comment